Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Why don’t you do something? (part 1)

 People wonder why we are adopting two teenagers from another country. The answer is simple- God does not want our children (Y and Z) to be orphans! And we have the great honor and privilege of being their forever family.

 How did this happen?

 God has been preparing our family for Y and Z for a long time. Lisa has had a deep love for orphans since she was a child. I spent a summer in college volunteering at an orphanage in Mexico. Four years ago in California, we had a single mom in our church that needed someone to care for her child, because she could no longer provide for her. We wanted that child in our family, but because we were soon moving back to Texas, it wasn't allowed. A great family in our church ended up helping this single mom and has since fully adopted both of her daughters. We knew then that if God wanted us to adopt, He would intervene and place children in our family. And that’s exactly what happened.

 Lisa read an article about Y and Z on a blog telling their story of how they would be too old to be adopted after December 2013. The blog seemed to be their final cry for help and for a family to adopt them. As Lisa read it, she thought, “God, Y and Z would fit perfectly in our family.” Lisa shared her tear filled story with me, but I quickly erased that conversation from my permanent memory because I still have no recollection of it.

 Two weeks later, Lisa and I were on a lunch date. I began preaching to her saying, “Someone should help all of these orphaned kids in other countries who are aging out of the orphanage system. These kids are destined for a life of crime, prostitution or suicide.” Lisa smiled and said, “Joey, why don’t you do something?” I was a captive audience as Lisa read Y and Z’s story again. This time I actually listened, and I will always remember our conversation very vividly. Lisa’s question changed the course of my life forever because I had no good excuse!

 So, how about you?   “Why don’t you do something?”

-Joey

No comments: